Zondervan Essential Companion to Christian History
Publication Date: September 24, 2019
Number of Pages: 224
Dimensions: 9.25 × 7.50 (inches)
The Zondervan Essential Companion to Christian History gives you what it promises: the essentials. This highly informative, broad-ranging book provides vital facts on the growth and impact of Christianity from the apostles to the present day not only in the Western world but also globally, including the development of Eastern Orthodox and Armenian Christianity, as well as considering Christianity in Latin America, Southeast Asia, the Baltic and Slavic states, and India. The companion is organized by century, going through the major events, ideas, and personalities that have shaped Christian history around the world.
Following a brief introduction that outlines the key events of the New Testament era, there is a chapter devoted to each century of Christian history beginning with the year 100 and ending roughly at the year 2000. Each chapter flows chronologically featuring:
- A brief overview, highlighting the main threads and issues running through the relevant century
- Key historical developments explained
- Thematic connections between centuries
- Color-coded sidebars on Persons, Ideas, or Events
- Persons: key figures either within or without the Church who have impacted Christian history significantly or who otherwise deserve special mention
- Ideas: important Christian books, as well as heresies, doctrines, or political movements
- Events: world-historical occurrences such as battles, natural disasters, inventions, or elections that have affected the development of Christianity in the world
The final chapter, devoted to the present century concludes the companion identifying key themes that the Christian Church is presently dealing with and suggesting future issues. A select Glossary of terms is provided at the end of the book, as well as a bibliographic list of suggested reading.
Whether you are a student or a lay person, a church-goer or unacquainted with Christianity, this book will help you grasp the global, multifaceted story of Christians.