Vendor: HarperChristian Resources
Publication Date: November 03, 2015
Number of Pages: 144
Series: MacArthur Bible Studies
Dimensions: 1.00 × 1.00 (inches)
Riots. Intolerance. Accusations. Scandal. Beatings. Plots. Arrests. Executions. Murder.
...And out of that, the Church was born.
The book of Acts is a carefully-recorded history of the explosive spread of the gospel and the rapid growth of the church after Christ’s ascension. In one of the most tumultuous, violent and dramatic books in the entire Bible, Acts starts with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, without which the young church could never have survived the unleashing of rage and prejudice towards these radical followers of The Way. Acts shows how, even in the midst of persecution and opposition, the early believers were able to rely on God’s spirit for direction and divine authority to preach the gospel to all nations.
Some of the more dramatic touchpoints in Acts include:
- The Holy Spirit is given (a mega church is born!)
- Two liars drop dead (God means business!)
- Stephen is stoned to death (the first martyr!)
- An Ethopian is baptized (a Gentile!)
- Saul is struck blind (a murderer meets Jesus!)
- Peter escapes from jail (with the help of an angel!)
- Demons are defanged; magicians are out-miracled!
Throughout Acts, God shows His infinite power regardless of the circumstances, just as He continues to do today.
In the MacArthur Bible Study Series, pastor and teacher John MacArthur has undertaken in his definitive style to provide intriguing examinations of the whole of Scripture. Each guide incorporates extensive commentary, detailed observations on overriding themes, explorations of complementary Scripture passages, and probing questions to help you study the Word of God under the guidance of a man whose expository preaching is unparalleled in its breadth and influence.
- The Birth of the Church
- The Apostles of the Church
- The Deacons of the Church
- The Gospel Begins to Spread Beyond Jerusalem
- The Conversion of Saul
- The Gospel to the Gentiles
- Paul's First Missionary Journey
- The Jerusalem Council
- Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- The Trials of the Ministry
- The Triumph of the Gospel
John MacArthur has served as the pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, since 1969. His ministry of expository preaching is unparalleled in its breadth and influence; in more than four decades of ministry from the same pulpit, he has preached verse by verse through the entire New Testament (and several key sections of the Old Testament). He is president of the Master’s University and Seminary and can be heard daily on the Grace to You radio broadcast (carried on hundreds of radio stations worldwide). He has authored a number of bestselling books, including The MacArthur Study Bible, The Gospel According to Jesus, Twelve Ordinary Men,and One Perfect Life. For more details about John MacArthur and his Bible-teaching resources, contact Grace to You at 800-55-GRACE or gty.org.